Press Release: CSU Channel Islands has created two Zero Textbook Cost Majors. We are so excited to see several faculty collaborating and supporting the ability for their students to earn a degree without textbook costs. Well done Jaime Hannans and Jacob Jenkins, CSU Faculty & AL$ Coordinators.
"Here's how California campuses are fixing the problem of pricey college textbooks!" A shout out to the CCCs, CSU, and UCs from KPCC!https://t.co/yHiZy0cUh#cool4ed #affordablecsu #basicneeds #calstate #wellbeing #cccoer— COOL for Education (@cool4ed) February 15, 2018
New AL$ Featured Partner
CogBooks Advanced Adaptive Learning platform recognizes that students have individual learning needs and instructors have limited time in their day to support students. CogBooks approach helps students learn faster and more effectively by adapting to their needs while saving instructors time through automated grade pass back to your LMS and intuitive reporting.
As part of a grant funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, CogBooks has developed affordable, adaptive off-the-shelf courseware to support instructors and students. CogBooks can be used as a full textbook replacement in a traditional classroom, pure online, or hybrid setting, allowing students a significant cost saving opportunity, while better supporting their unique learning needs. CogBooks' aim is to improve student success and retention by empowering you to create effective and personalized learning experiences for your students.
The AL$ Annual Meeting and the OLC Affordable Textbook Conference Follow Up
Event resources include:
- The AL$ Grant Proposal Guidelines (Due date past. No longer able to accept proposals.)
- The AL$ Annual Meeting workbook
- The AL$ Annual Meeting slide deck
AL$ Coordinators' requested resources:
AL$ team follow up requests:
- Faculty Stipend Models:
- Several participants expressed a desire to learn from each other and review examples of past completed RFPs and campus stipend models from other campuses. If you are willing to share your past RFP and/or campus stipend model, please send them directly to Erin Walker (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, February 12.
The AL$ OLC Conference Resources from January 30th
- Visit the conference archives Resource Center (if you attended the conference) where you will find the attendee list as well as links to recommended reading materials (if provided) from the presenters.
- All Presentation materials. Session Archive Notes.
SB 1359 — CSUs and CCCs Identifying Courses with Free Course Materials
California Senate Bill 1359 requires California State University campuses “to clearly highlight, by means that may include a symbol or logo in a conspicuous place on the online campus course schedule, the courses that exclusively use digital course materials that are free of charge to students and may have a low-cost option for print versions.” The deadline to implement this designation in course schedules is January 1, 2018. Memo to CSU Presidents from Gerry Hanley, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Academic Technology Services.
Upcoming AL$/AB798 Webinars
- Thursday, May, 31, 2018 - 12:00 pm - 1 pm
- Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 12:00 pm - 1 pm
- Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:00 pm - 1 pm
- Thursday, August 23 - 12:00 pm - 1 pm